Monday, December 15, 2008

Sweet Potato Crescents

I love this roll recipe. I am not usually one who makes a lot of rolls... I find the effort not worth the final product. Until this recipe came along. I made these because my husband on a whim bought canned sweet potatoes and I had no idea what to do with them. I don't usually even like real sweet potatoes. What on earth would I want canned ones for! Now I buy them myself and all because of this recipe. These rolls are soft and buttery and if I serve them for dinner, my kids won't actually eat anything else that I have made. This happened on Thanksgiving Day. They didn't want anything to do with the turkey, stuffing, salads, or anything else, but they each put away 3 or 4 rolls and would have kept going if I would have let them! And as far as rolls go, I think this is a pretty easy recipe. The instructions that came with the recipe are for mixing by hand, but I mix everything up in my bosch and it couldn't be easier. Enjoy, I know you will love them!

Sweet Potato Crescents

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 can (15 ounces) cut sweet potatoes draned and mashed (the cans I buy come in 40 ounces, I usually use it to make 2 batches of rolls)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I usually use butter becuase I don't usually have shortening on hand)
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
5 to 5-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter melted

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the sweet potatoes, sugar, shortening, egg, salt, and 3 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-inch circle; cut each into 12 wedges. Brush with butter. Roll up from the wide end and place point side sown 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.Bake at 375 for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.

No comments: