• 3 large leeks, cleaned and diced
• 2 Tbsp butter
• 2 cups water
• 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 2 lbs potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
• Marjoram - dash
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 cup heavy cream
• Salt & Pepper
• Garnishes, optional: shredded cheese; diced scallions; chopped, cooked bacon; sour cream
1 Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a large sauce pan. Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown the leeks.
2 Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan. Or use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pan. Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add cream, freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste. Serve with garnishes.