Sunday, July 6, 2008

Mexican-Style Shredded Beef


I was looking for an easy slow-cooker roast recipe to make for dinner tonight. My kids won't really eat the good old fashioned pot roast and David and I never seem to eat all the leftovers anyway, so I wanted something new. I came across this recipe in a crock pot cook book awhile ago and thought it sounded good, but kind of passed it over. Big mistake. I finally made it and it turned out SO GOOD! I always know that something really turned out when David talks about it for a long time afterward. I think he has told me maybe 10 times that he thought dinner turned out really good!

Mexican-Style Shredded Beef

1 boneless beef chuck shoulder roast (about 3 pounds)
1 16 ounce bottle of salsa
ground cumin
ground coriander
chili powder
salt
ground red pepper
lime juice
1/2 cup water

I didn't exactly follow the recipe or the instructions for this meal. My roast was frozen so I put it on to cook last night. I poured about 1/2 cup of salsa on the bottom of my slow cooker and then put in my roast. Then I put in another 1/2 to 1 cup of salsa (sorry I didn't measure anything). I mixed up a little of each of the spices (just however much you want) and sprinkled it over the top. Then I squeezed some lime juice over the top of everything and poured in about a half cup of water and let it cook on low overnight. It probably cooked for about 12 hours (but the roast was frozen) and it was literally falling apart when it was done. I would say cook it for about 8 hours if your roast is thawed. I stirred it up a little and squeezed some more lime juice on it just before serving.

We made it into tacos with tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, more limes (I really love limes), sour cream, cheese, etc. Wow, did I already say it really turned out good. Plus there is plenty left over for another dinner (and maybe a lunch too). My 3 year old daughter wouldn't eat it, but she doesn't like much besides PB&J, hotdogs, or pancakes. My 1 year old ate his and his sister's too. I think next time I am going to double it and then freeze some for quick meals when we are in a hurry.

No comments: