Friday, August 1, 2008

Chicken Rolls


Another great recipe that my mom wrote down for me after I moved to Maryland! I remember a time when my mom and my grandma were making chicken rolls at Grandma's house. My mom was wearing a tweed skirt that looked to me like the surface of a chicken roll.

Sophie and I like to make this dish together--I fill the dough with the chicken and she rolls it in the butter and crumbs. We make a great team in the kitchen!

CHICKEN ROLLS
Mom's Original Recipe (I usually double it)

1 package crescent rolls

Filling:
2 - 3 chicken breasts, cooked & cut in small pieces
1 3-oz package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 small can mushroom pieces (I leave this out because my kids hate mushrooms)

Coating:
1 cup Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix (pulverized)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Combine filling ingredients and put a blob of chicken mixture (a task made easier with the help of a medium-size scoop) on the fat end of a crescent roll (flattened slightly first. Roll up and seal. Roll in melted butter, then stuffing mix. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Great served with rice and gravy (which I make by cooking down the drippings from the chicken, then adding chicken broth, then thickening with flour-water).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I made those last week for Dad. It's always a winner. Time consuming, though, if you don't have a helper (Sophie) on hand. It helps to cook the chicken ahead of time.

Rachel said...

We love those at our house too. Lizzie calls them "Chicken Puffs." Try adding a little lemon pepper to the cream cheese mixture! Yummy!

Will and Wendy Richards said...

I know I haven't kept in touch very well. I'm excited to use these recipes once we get moved. Way to keep it up!