Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Orange Hoisin Chicken


photo from Amazon.com


Here's a tasty Asian recipe. Heidi recommended it to me from her slow cooker cookbook, and she thought jam might be a good substitute for the juice concentrate. So I made it with apricot jam and was happy with the results. Orange marmalade might be good too. Or that grape jelly with peanut butter stripes, just kidding.
The Hoisin sauce I used was from Iron Chef. (click here for a video testimonial) I like the sauce, but it is very ginger-y so I didn't use the ginger called for. I also only used one clove of garlic instead of three. I just copied the ingredients, but I'm pretty sure I got the directions right. Mom or Heidi can correct me using their cookbooks if I'm wrong.

Orange Hoisin Chicken

2 Tb OJ concentrate, or 1/4 C jam or marmalade
1/4 C honey
2 Tb soy sauce
2 Tb Hoisin sauce
3 cloves garlic, pressed
3 slices ginger, peeled
1 Tb sesame oil
6 frozen chicken breasts, do not thaw
thickener:
2 tsp cornstarch plus 2 tsp cold water

Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the thickener to a slow cooker, coating the chicken with the sauce (you can also put the sauce ingredients in a big zipper bag and shake the chicken around in it first). Cook on low 5 to 6 hours. Remove chicken, and add sauce to a saucepan with thickener. Simmer until thickened and serve over chicken.

1 comment:

Julie said...

This looks really good and my husband loves to try new recipes. I think I will try this for Father's Day!