Monday, April 14, 2008

Spiced-Up Hummus

This was in MSLO's Body + Soul Magazine. I made this for a Stampin' Up party I did last week.

Ingredients:
1 can (15 oz) Chickpeas, drained and rinsed reserving 1/4c of the liquid
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 cup Lemon juice (fresh is best)
3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove (crushed)
1/4 tsp ground star anise-optional (*I didn't use this)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
1 plum tomato peeled, seeded and very finely chopped.
2 scallions, very thinly sliced.
salt and ground pepper

1. In a food processor combine beans, and reserved liquid, tahini, lemon juice, 1 Tbs oil, garlic, star anise, ginger and cumin. Puree until smooth.
2. Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in cilantro, tomato and scallions; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining 2 Tbs oil over the top.Before serving garnish with cilantro leaves if desired.

I used abt 1/2 cup tahini, it isn't cheap, and it also has garbanzo beans in it. I was pleased with that. I also didn't add the extra oil. If I was serving with Pita bread, I would have, but I just had veggies and Townhouse crackers.

Nutrition facts:
The ginger, cumin and cilantro in the recips are anti-inflammatory, and the chickpeas are full of fiber. Per serving, 187 calories, 13 grams fat, 14 grams carbs, 5 grams protein.
Prep time 15 minutes. Makes 3 cups.

No comments: