Monday, April 14, 2008

Chinese Chicken Salad (although I am not actually certain just how Chinese it is...)

This makes a BIG salad! I usually make it for putlucks or days when I know I don't want to cook the next day. I don't think the salad is really Chinese, but that is what my mom always called it. It is yummy salad! Emily asked me for the recipe to this one and I was going to just email it to her, then I thought, "I should put in on the blog." So here it is, for all of you out there looking for a new salad to take on a picnic or to a ward activity.

Chinese Chicken Salad

2 packages of your favorite flavor of ramen noodles (I have only ever used chicken or oriental flavored)
1 large can of pineapple chunks or tidbits (with juice)
half a head of cabbage chopped up
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2-3 cups of grapes (depending on the size of salad you are making)
1 small package of slivered almonds (more if you like more)
1/2 of a medium sized purple onion chopped
1 medium green pepper
Soy Sauce
Salt and Pepper

These are approximates. Add how ever much you like of each.

Directions for salad:
1. Crumble the ramen noodles into the bottom of a big bowl (but not too small). Pour the can of pineapple with juice onto noodles (this makes the noodles soft).

2. Cook the chicken and cut it up into bite size pieces. Season chicken with soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste as it is cooking. For the last couple of minutes that the chicken is cooking add the slivered almonds and let them cook until slightly golden.

3. Throw in all the other ingredients, but don't stir until everything is added (you want to give the noodles plenty of time to get soft before you stir everything in with them).

The dressing:
1 or 2 flavoring packets from your ramen noodles (depending on how much seasoning you like... I use one, my sister uses two)
1/3 cup of oil
2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate
3 tablespoons of vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to liking

Mix it all up. Pour the dressing onto salad and stir it all up. Eat right away or chill until you are ready to eat (the leftovers are even better the next day because the flavors have mixed for a while.

These are kind of estimates. I don't usually measure when I am making this salad. I just toss in a little of this and a little of that, so if something sounds good to you try it out, or if you think it sounds gross leave it out, of add more or less of something if you want. My sister said she wants to try it with craisins (just an idea).

No comments: