Thursday, April 3, 2008

OJ Soy Pork Chops Udon

This was so easy and so good, I saw Robin Miller make it, and tweaked it to my liking. I hadn't tried udon noodles before, and now we're hooked! Be careful of the cooking time. The package said to boil the noodles for a lot longer than they really needed to be, which is the exact opposite of what usually happens with Italian noodles for me. I tried sesame oil (toasted) once and it was gross. After discussing it with my sister, I think I just got a bad batch. But I was afraid to spend money on buying it again, so I just left it out. Next time I make this, I'm going to try a pork tenderloin, cut into strips and dredging them in flour before browning. Also, I might add less chicken stock than is called for. I had to use some corn starch to thicken the sauce, and I thought it was still a little too runny. The marmalade made these taste sweet and delicious. Try try try! I served this with Soy Rainbow Veggies.

OJ Soy Pork Chops Udon

4 pork loin chops, about 5 ounces each
1 Tb olive oil
1 C orange marmalade
1/2 C reduced-sodium chicken broth (or less for a thicker sauce if desired)
2 Tb soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
12 oz udon noodles, cooked according to package directions


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of pork with salt and black pepper. Add pork to the skillet and cook 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
In a medium bowl, combine orange marmalade, broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix well and add to the pork in the pan. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, or until pork is cooked through and sauce thickens and reduces. Arrange noodles on a serving platter. Top with pork chops and sauce. Optional: garnish with scallions just before serving.

No comments: