Sunday, January 20, 2008

Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes

First of all I just want to thank Emily for inviting me to participate on this blog. I have enjoyed reading and trying some of these recipes (and can't wait to try more).

My family LOVES pancakes. I decided we wanted to start a family tradition of having pancakes on Saturday mornings at our house and I have loved hearing Gracie say, "Please can we have pancakes today!" This is one of our favorite kinds.

Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups milk
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/3 cup butter melted
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, sour cream and butter. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with warm maple syrup. Yummy.


For another twist we love to make warm peach syrup to go on our pancakes. This is a syrup my mom taught me how to make when I was a little girl.

Peach Syrup

Use either a quart of bottled peaches or a large can of canned peaches.
Cinnamon (to taste)
2 tablespoons cornstarch (this is just a guess I don't usually measure) with equal parts water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put peaches in a pan and add as much cinnamon as you like. Heat until boiling. Mix cornstarch with water and pour in a little at a time stirring constantly until desired thickness. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Serve hot over pancakes.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Awesome! I'm so happy that you posted this Julie! This is a fun way to connect, plus these pancakes and syrup sound really good, can't wait to try them!

Emily said...

Had them this morning...very good! I had never tried sour cream pancakes before, and I loved them! So did Jon and Abby (she loves blueberries). The texture is perfect for pancakes! I think the peach syrup would taste best with home-canned peaches.

Unknown said...

Okay - this sounds wickedly yummy! I can't wait to make them!!

Julie said...

You are right Emily. The syrup is best with home canned peaches. We had to leave all of our peaches in St. George though so sometimes we improvise with store bought ones. I am glad you liked them.

Julie