|Photo by Heidi|
This recipe serves 4, and uses half a 2-pound bag of frozen shrimp. I double the recipe and put half the sauce in a Ziploc bag to keep in the freezer, with the remaining shrimp (separately, if the shrimp have not been shelled yet). When I am ready to cook the second batch, I thaw the sauce in the fridge for a day or two. The sauce separates after being frozen, but blends well after being heated and still tastes delicious.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 pound frozen medium-sized (51/60) shrimp, shelled
- 8 ounces penne regata, cooked in salted water (I cook a full 16 ounce package of pasta, and serve the other half with marinara sauce, for family members who do not like shrimp)
- French bread, for serving
Combine sauce ingredients (1 through 9) in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and bring to a simmer. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until shrimp is done. Add cooked pasta to the shrimp mixture and serve with sliced French bread.