Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chicken Meatballs

I keep buying chicken thighs for recipes, forgetting that I don't really like them in most things. So here is what I made with left over chicken thighs, that turned out really good. Playing around with the spices in addition or in place of the thyme could be fun. Tonight I plan to use these with a cream sauce for a variation on Swedish Meatballs.


Chicken Meatballs

1 lb chicken thighs
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 C chopped onion
1/3 C parmesan cheese
1/2 C plain bread crumbs
1 egg

In a food processor or blender, pulse chicken, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic and onions, until only small chunks remain. Stir in cheese, bread crumbs, and egg. Moisten fingers with water, and form mixture into 1 inch balls. Cook on a greased baking sheet at 350 for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned.

Tip: the chicken I had came from the freezer and was mostly defrosted. I think it made it easier to chop with the chicken being a little frozen still. Also, I didn't trim all the fat that tends to remain on chicken thighs, instead I picked out long pieces of fat while forming the balls, leaving the rest to add moisture and flavor.

No comments: