Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Just Oatmeal Cookies

These are my new favorite oatmeal cookies. I adapted a recipe from my husband's family, and they turned out so good I wanted to write it down before I forgot. I wanted the cookies to be all oat and no white flour, so I used my food processor to grind oats into flour. My brown sugar was rock hard so I used white sugar and molasses. Since my vanilla was all gone, I took a tip from another recipe and flavored the cookies with a little spice. Finally, I'm usually a butter proponent, but again, we were out (who does the shopping around here?!). I was happy with the result of shortening and a teensie bit more salt. If you try a new cookie recipe and it turns out kinda blah, chances are it needs more salt. That's just my opinion.

Just Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 C sugar
2 TB molasses
3/4 C shortening
1 egg
1/4 C water

1 C oat flour (process whole oats until smooth)
1 1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 C oats



Cream together sugar, molasses, and shortening. Add egg and water until combined.  Sift together the dry ingredients, except for whole oats, and add to sugar mixture. Fold in oats. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, rotating the pans, until the cookies are flattened and golden brown.

No comments: