Wednesday, April 14, 2010

FAST FEIJ

Last Sunday, Gary decided to have a craving for black beans and rice. He came up with the craving at 5:30 pm. My usual recipe for feijoada takes 18-24 hours. Typical for a man, no? Not wanting to disappoint, I started throwing what I had on hand into a pot (including the leftover bacon from breakfast) and happily came up with an abbreviated recipe that takes 45 minutes - tops. And it's very tasty, too, if I say so myself. I would have added chopped, browned sausage if I'd had any on hand.  I served it with brown basmati rice (our new favorite) and chopped lettuce and tomatoes on the side. (+ a dollop of sour cream. SSHHHH! We're supposed to be on a diet!)

FAST FEIJ(oada)

1 T. olive oil
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 can black beans
2 basil leaves, minced (or 1t. dried basil)
1/4 t. oregano
1/2 t. salt
1 T. fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 t. parsley flakes)
2 T. canned chopped chilis
Pinch of ground cloves
1 medium tomato, diced
4 slices cooked bacon, diced
1 beef bouilion cube
1/4 c. water

Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium/high heat. Saute celery for a few minutes then add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.  Serves 2-4.

2 comments:

Ida said...

I made this on Friday and we all loved it. I doubled it and added an extra can of beans too. Thanks, Marilyn for the recipe.

Emily said...

I found some "fresh pork neck" at the grocery store and it was a bargain. So I used it in this recipe, browning the pieces on all sides before adding everything else. It simmered and I pulled the meat of the bones and put it back in the beans. Delicious!