Monday, November 30, 2009

Pomegranate Salad

My grandmother making the pomegranate salad


It's a Tobler tradition to have Pomegranate Salad. It comes from my paternal grandmother, so actually a Bybee tradition. My Grandmother's brother grows pomegranates in California, there are no better ones than theirs. Theirs are sweeter, not so tart compared to what you find in the stores.

Anyway, it's a fruit salad, but with pomegranates. The measurements aren't exact, but here it is:

2-3 large pomegranates
heavy whipping cream
white sugar (to taste)
2-3 chopped apples (sweeter ones to help the tartness of the pomegranate)
1 c. raisins
1 c. craisins (I've added this)
1 c. nuts (I use Cashews, the original recipe uses walnuts)

Clean out the pomegranates. Whip cream adding sugar. Combine all ingredients. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Julie said...

My family calls this Dixie salad and it is a family tradition of ours too. Ours doesn't call for raisins, craisins, or nuts, but it does call for bananas and cinnimon. I love family traditions!

Emily said...

I made this last night with apples called Ambrosia, and they were delicious! I also added fresh pairs, but Jon didn't like them