If Audrey is having a birthday or is baking with me in the kitchen, chances are we are making lemon bread. Her favorite thing to do is grate the lemon zest!
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray one 9 by 5 loaf pan or 4 small loaf pans with cooking spray. Combine and set aside:
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2. Wisk together in a large bowl:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3. In a medium bowl mix together well:
6 Tbsp oil
grated zest from 2 lemons
milk/vinegar mixture from step 1
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients from steps 1-3 and stir until moistened. Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean (large loaf - about 60 minutes; small loaves - about 30 minutes).
5. For the glaze: While the bread is baking, wisk together 1/4 cup sugar and the juice of 2 lemons until sugar dissolves. When the bread is done and still warm, run a knife around the edge of each loaf, prick all over with a skewer or toothpick, and brush or pour the glaze over the bread. Allow loaves to cool completely in the pans on a rack.
This bread does not freeze well, but we like to chill ours in the refrigerator. The small loaves are fun to give away--I buy treat bags at craft stores for a festive presentation (I wrap the loaf in plastic wrap first, then put it in the bag).