Thursday, March 6, 2008

Potato Cinnamon Rolls


photo by Emily Hale

I can't remember a time when Jon didn't more or less demand these sweet rolls from his mom, but it's easy to see why they always come to his mind while visiting the Hales. What makes them so good are the leftover mashed potatoes (make sure they're not garlic-y or cheesy or anything weird like that). To be honest, I'm not sure what the potatoes do for the dough to make these so tasty. Maybe they add texture, moisture, depth of flavor. All I know is that eating them tonight took me right away to the dining table at the Hales after a Sunday dinner and games, the dogs moping under the table. I miss them! (Jon 's family, not necessarily the dogs.) I made a half batch and it made about a dozen and a half rolls. I used pecans, because that's what we had, and a little less than half a stick of melted butter to brush over the dough before sprinkling with brown and white sugar and cinnamon. You can sprinkle as much or little as you like. I like using string or floss to cut the rolls, laying the string under the log of dough then crossing the ends over the top. I made a simple icing of about 4 TB soft butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla, powdered sugar and milk to moisten until it seemed right. I'm so glad I finally have this recipe. Thanks Ida!

Potato Cinnamon Rolls
(created by the chefs at Ruby's Deli)

2 C scalded milk
1/2 C shortening
1 C mashed potatoes
2 pkgs. yeast
1/2 C warm water
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 C sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 C walnuts, chopped
1 C raisins
7 C flour
cinnamon and sugar
Powdered sugar icing

Pour milk over shortening and allow to cool to lukewarm. Soften yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add to milk mixture with the eggs, sugar, salt, mashed potatoes and 4 cups of the flour. Beat with the mixer until smooth and well blended. Flour nuts and raisins with part of the remaining flour and add to the dough. Slowly add remainder of flour to make a soft dough. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size. Divide dough in half and roll in rectangle 1/2 inch thick. Spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll up and cut into 1 inch slices. Place on a cookie sheet and cover. Let rise until double. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Ice

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a hard time imagining Jon demanding anything. Those sure sound good!