Sunday, March 2, 2008

Easy Swedish Meatballs

Photo by Emily Hale

I got this recipe from my mom today over the phone. It's as easy to make is it was to write down the instructions. This was the first time Abby, my one-year-old, "asked" for more ground beef. Guaranteed you have all the ingredients for this already. Some of the soup goes into the meatballs themselves making them tender and moist. The rest makes the tasty sauce. My mom said to serve this with rice, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes. We tried noodles and liked it a lot. Our soda crackers were stale and gross, so I used Ritz instead. Abby and I will be having the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Easy Swedish Meatballs
1 Lb ground beef
1 (10+ oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup crumbs (bread or cracker (soda or Ritz))
1 egg
salt and pepper (use less salt if using salty crackers)
flour for coating

In a small bowl, combine soup and 3/4 of the can of water. In another bowl combine beef, crumbs. egg. salt and pepper to taste, and 1/3 C. of the soup mixture. Form into meatballs and roll each into flour.
Heat olive oil in large lidded pan. Brown meatballs on all sides. Add the remaining soup mixture, stirring gently and scraping bottom of pan. Cover and simmer 20 min. or until meatballs are cooked through. Meanwhile make rice, pasta, or potatoes and everything will be done on time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Ritz idea is a good one - I've actually used a variety of crackers over the years - whatever is on hand works great. I got this recipe from my oldest sister, DeeAnn when I got married.