Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls

I love this idea! I love all the recipes on here so far! I decided I wanted to join the fun. My mom finally gave me her recipes for Christmas this year. What is even more amazing is she put actual amounts! Most of the time I call her for a recipe and she tells me, "Oh a little of this and a little of that". It always stresses me out. I tried this recipe last night and it was fantastic. The down side is it requires a lot of slicing and dicing. It is a recipe my brother Matt and my mom revised from a recipe they found on the internet. So here goes..............

1 seasoned chicken breast, grilled, cooled and diced
1 T. vegetable oil
2 T. minced red bell pepper
2 T. minced green onion
1/3 cup frozen sweet corn
1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 T. fresh spinach, chopped
2 T. diced green chile's
1/2 T. minced fresh cilantro
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. salt
Dash cayenne pepper
1 T. lime juice
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
4 8" flour tortillas warmed

Heat oil in 12" skillet. Add red pepper and onion and saute until tender. Add chicken, corn, black beans, spinach, green chile peppers, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper and lime juice. Stir well to blend. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.

Spoon equal amounts of mixture on each tortilla. Fold ends, then roll tortilla tightly. Wrap with plastic and freeze for 4 hours or overnight. Heat 4-5 cups oil to 375 degrees. Deep fry egg rolls until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels. Slice on a diagonal. Serve with Dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce: Use either guacamole, or a version of the cafe rio salad dressing. I have that recipe to if anyone wants it.

Okay so a lot of work, huh? But they are really good, and this recipes only makes 4 but if you double or triple it you can make a whole bunch and then they keep in the freezer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Carol's in trouble now! She's one of the best cooks in the world and now we can all have her recipes! Ha ha ha ha ha! (That's supposed to be a hysterical evil laugh.)

Emily said...

Becca,
I love how your mom can make things from restaurants. I remember when she was testing the tomatillo dressing from Cafe Rio. It was fun to watch her in your kitchen. Yes, let's have that recipe too! I'm excited that you're going to post to this now!