Wednesday, January 23, 2008

AUNT NETA'S SUGAR COOKIES


Aunt Neta, my Dad's oldest sister was born and raised in Cache Valley. My Mom used this recipe as far back as I can remember. She always made a plate of heart shaped, frosted cookies for all of her kids on Valentine's Day. I loved them!! She had the best cookie cutter, too, one I have tried in vain to find for myself. Oh well, no matter the shape, these are my favorite sugar cookies - bar none!

1 1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. butter or margarine
(shortening works, too, but not as tasty!)
2 large eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 t. pure vanilla extract

1 T. baking powder

1 t. baking soda

1/4 t. salt

3 1/2 c. flour


In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Dough should be soft, but not soupy. Chill for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375. **Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch. Cut into desired shapes and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 12 - 15 minutes. Don't over-bake! They should be firm and only very lightly browned. Remove cookies to cool on a wire rack. Frost and decorate as desired. I use a homemade butter cream frosting. Don't ask for the recipe - I don't use one - next time you're at my house, I'll just show you!!

**Don't be intimidated by the dough - it is supposed to be really soft and a little sticky. Generously flour your cutting surface, slap the dough on, sprinkle more flour on top, and knead a little bit until the dough is firmer and less sticky.

No comments: